1. Перепишите предложения, подчеркните сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The speed, storage capability, and cost of tape are reasons why it is still frequently used as a backup medium.
2. Programs designed to act as intermediaries between the hardware and application programs are called system software.
3. Many times, the options were shown as icons, or pictures; the user could just point to an icon with the mouse and then click to indicate the choice.
4. System programs have been designed for the specific pieces of hardware.
5. The files on your hard disk can be viewed as if you are looking at a Web page.
2.Перепишите предложения и поставьте глаголы в скобках в нужную видовременную форму. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The information (to store) on a smart card for transfer to the police computer.
2. Some years ago application software (to design) to solve a specific problem or do a specific task.
3. The process of loading of the operating system (to call) booting the system.
4. The person who prepares systems software (to refer to) as a systems programmer.
5. In 1958 LISP (to design) for Artificial Intelligence research.
3.Перепишите предложения и передайте их смысл в форме пассивного залога. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
By using a keyboard buffer yourNot any of your keystrokes are missed
computer never misses any of yourby your computer due to using a
1. The radar sends out a beam of radio waves.
2. The microprocessor measures the difference in wavelength between outgoing and
3. Operating systems control and manage the use of hardware devices.
4. IBM first released the IBM PC in 1981.
5. Most users will not purchase UNIX for their own use.
4.Перепишите предложения и письменно переведите их на русский язык, обратив внимание на перевод определительных конструкций.
1. The Practice Manager uses a payroll package based on spread sheet to calculate salaries for each employee of health center.
2. Computer software typically consists of many files that contain user-executable programs, support programs and data files.
3. A program editor is any word processor that can be used for basic editing tasks.
4. Reception staff use specially tailored software developed from a database to enter all appointment dates and times for each doctor.
5. Electronic bulletin board systems (BBS) are a new means of casual communications for computer users.
5. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст.
Hardware, Software and Firmware
The units that are visible in any computer are the physical components of a data processing system, or hardware. Thus, the input, storage, processing and control devices are hardware. Not visible is the software – the set of computer programs, procedures, and associated documentation that make possible the effective operation of the computer system. Software programs are of two types: systems software and applications software.
Systems software is the programs designed to control the operation of a computer system. They do not solve specific problems. They are written to assist people in the use of the computer system by performing tasks, such as controlling all of the operations required, to move data into and out of a computer and all of the steps in executing an application program. The person who prepares systems software is referred to as a systems programmer. Systems programmers are highly trained specialists and important members of the architectural team.
Applications software is the programs written to solve specific problems (applications), such as payroll, inventory control, and investment analysis. The word program usually refers to an application program, and the word programmer is usually a person who prepares applications software.
Often programs, particularly systems software, are stored in an area of memory not used for applications software. These protected programs are stored in an area of memory called read-only memory (ROM), which can be read from but not written.
Firmware is a term that is commonly used to describe certain programs that are stored in ROM. Firmware often refers to a sequence of instructions (software) that is substituted for hardware. For example, in an instance where cost is more important than performance, the computer system architect might decide not to use special electronic circuits (hardware) to multiply two numbers, but instead write instructions (software) to cause the machine to accomplish the same function by repeated use of circuits already designed to perform addition.
контрольная работа №4
1. Перепишите предложения, найдите в них инфинитив и подчеркните его, определите его форму. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. To configure your computer for Automatic Updates tab use Control Panel’s
2. This technique is related to the criteria supposed to be built into the machine.
3. The world knows Babbage’s ideas to have had a great influence on the computer
4. Internet addresses can be written as a series of numbers.
5. To understand how to use a computer one must fully appreciate a design.
2. Перепишите предложения, подчеркните инфинитив и определите его функцию. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. It is important to check your browser’s security options.
2. The biggest challenge is to control access by using passwords.
3. If you decide to assign private IP addresses to your workstations, you will hide
them from hackers who will see only the IP address for your router.
4. To deal with a malicious code, such as viruses and worms, it is important to run
an antivirus software on a standalone computer.
5. Leibnitz was the first to use the word “function”.
3. Перепишите предложения. Подчеркните в каждом инфинитивный оборот и определите его форму (объектный, субъектный и предложный инфинитивный оборот). Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. It is possible for the computers to handle all types of information.
2. The transmission mode enables the receiving computer to know where one byte ends and next byte begins on the transmission medium.
3. The modem waits for the ISP’s modem to answer the call.
4. The program proved to be a great success.
5. When you use a dial-up connection, your computer’s modem is supposed to place a regular telephone call to your ISP.
4.Преобразуйте предложения, воспользовавшись инфинитивом или инфинитивным оборотом и словами в скобках, если они даны. Письменно переведите полученные предложения на русский язык.
1. He said: “Avoid turning off the main power while the computer is running”.
2. Some molecules are large. They could be seen on the electron microscope (enough).
3. It was important that the researchers fulfilled their work in time (for).
4. The system is the first one that tells us if someone tries to get into the system.
5. It appears that my monitor screen flickers.
5.Перепишите предложения, употребив нужную форму прилагательного (much – many, (a)little – (a) few). Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. … … days later I again tried to reset the parameters.
2. … free ISPs also offer Web-based mail.
3. It takes … time for the ISP’s modem to answer the call.
4. How can one network offer so …information to so … people.
5. If the hard disk crashes … of your data is lost permanently.
6. Прочтите и письменно переведите текст.
DSL and ISDN
Although the standard equipment provided by telephone company limits the amount of data you can transmit and receive over a voiceband modem, the copper wire that runs from your wall jacks to the switching station actually has a fair amount of capacity. DSL and ISDN take advantage of this capacity to offer high-speed digital communication links for voice and data.
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is a high-speed, digital, always-on Internet access technology that runs over standard phone lines. It is one of the fastest Internet connections that are affordable to individual consumers. Several variations of this technology exist, including ADSL (asymmetric DSL, with downstream speed faster than upstream speed). DSL is digital, so data doesn’t need to be changed into analog form and then back to digital as it does when you use a dial-up connection.
A DSL connection can simultaneously carry voice and data, if permitted by your DSL provider. The digital data and analog voice signals travel over DSL line to the local switching station. There the voice signals are transferred to the telephone company’s regular lines.
The speed of a DSL connection varies according to the characteristics of your telephone line, the equipment at your local switch and your distance from the switching station.
ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) connections move data at speed that is not as fast as DSL or cable Internet service. As with DSL, ISDN is an all-digital service with the potential to simultaneously carry voice and data. A device called ISDN terminal adapter connects a computer to a telephone wall jack and translates the computer’s digital signals into signals that can travel over the ISDN connection. ISDN service is typically regarded as a high-speed Internet connection option for businesses that maintain small LANs.